-2013 Conference CFP-
The conference will gather academic scholars and others with an interest in the relationship between jazz and cinema from across a range of disciplines.
Possible themes could include:
- Pre-war jazz soundtrack
- Analysis of the use of pre-existing jazz recordings to soundtrack films
- Analysis of purpose-made jazz soundtracks
- The social implications of the use of jazz in cinema
- The historical development of jazz in cinema
- Jazz musicians on the screen, an exploration of jazz musicians’ appearances in filmOther topics around the broader theme of Jazz & Cinema are also invited for submission.
We are delighted to confirm our keynote speaker will be Dr Nicolas Pillai from Warwick University. Dr Pillai is currently researching jazz in British film and television, as well as teaching more widely on music and visual culture. He has given papers on European jazz culture as an invited speaker at the National Jazz Archive and at Rollins College, Florida.
Selected papers from the conference will be published in The Soundtrack special issue on jazz and cinema in 2014.
Please send an abstract of 300 words and a short bio to firstname.lastname@example.org